Today's MessagePosted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021
New Data Science and Analytics Focus in Genomics
The Data Science and Analytics program will offer a Focus in Genomics program in collaboration with Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center beginning in fall 2021. This pathway will give students the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of how data science is being applied in the field of genomics and cancer research.
- analyze and probe human genomic data;
- manage genomic data including organization, storage, cleaning, and manipulation using appropriate software and programming languages (Python, SQL, SAS, Excel, R, SPSS);
- weigh the evolving social, ethical, and legal issues associated with genomic data science;
- visualize and effectively communicate results using dashboards, charts, graphs, and written and oral reports.
This partnership with Roswell Park offers students hands-on experiential learning opportunities including the opportunity to complete an internship with real-world projects at Roswell Park.
Roswell Park is also generously funding the DSA Focus in Genomics Fellowship. Fellows will receive tuition support and a stipend.
More information about the fellowship is available on the Data Science and Analytics website.
Courses will include
- BIO 587 Advanced Bioinformatics
- BIO 670 Advanced Biostatistical Analysis
- Topics in Genomics Medicine
As part of this new focus, the DSA program and Roswell Park have collaborated on a National Institutes of Health R25 grant, "Exploring Genomic Data Using Data Science and Analytics: A Buffalo State–Roswell Park Partnership," that, if awarded, will further support the growth of the DSA program and help foster greater diversity in the field of data science and analytics.
For more information, please visit our website.