From the PresidentPosted: Friday, May 14, 2021
Response to College Senate Recommendation: Change of Grade Policy
At its December 11, 2020, meeting, the College Senate voted in favor of a resolution on the DOPS Policy for Change of Grade, Policy Number: I:16:07, presented by the Standards for Students Committee.
ACTUAL DOPS POLICY LANGUAGE
BUFFALO STATE COLLEGE
DIRECTORY OF POLICY STATEMENTS
Policy Number: I:16:07
Date: Updated March 2014
Subject: Change of Grade Policy
In case of a clerical error or other extenuating circumstance resulting in an incorrect grade, a request for a grade change must be submitted according to the following policies and procedures. This policy applies to both undergraduate and graduate students. This policy does not apply to incomplete (I), in-process (IP), grade delayed (N), grade not submitted (X), or withdrawn (W) grades.
Appropriate reasons for grade changes may include but are not limited to the following:
- Demonstrable arithmetic, editing, or factual error in calculating the grade
- Omission of assignments or parts of assignments in calculating the grade
- A grade demonstrably based on impermissible factors unrelated to student performance, such as discrimination, bias, retaliation, or retribution
Inappropriate reasons for grade changes may include but are not limited to the following:
- Saving a student from some academic penalty such as dismissal, probation, warning, or academic integrity problem
- Enabling a student to graduate
- Enabling a student to maintain academic eligibility for financial aid
- Enabling a student to graduate with academic honors or meet some other established minima
- Personal issues unrelated to academics
- Enabling a student to maintain academic eligibility for athletics or any other co-curricular activity
- Managing enrollment levels in order to preserve programs or revenue, or to increase retention rates
Steps and time frames for each step of the student grade change process:
The instructor of record will submit a change of grade request to the appropriate associate dean (with a copy to the department chair) by the 10th week of the following spring or fall semester. A written justification articulating a reason for the requested grade change will be included.
- In the event that the original instructor is incapacitated or otherwise unavailable, a grade change may be submitted by the department chair by the 10th week of the following spring or fall semester.
- If the request is approved, the appropriate associate dean will forward the grade change form to the Registrar’s Office within one month of receipt.
- Final grade determination by the campus that is consistent with the principles, policies, and procedures included in this document will be made within the time frame outlined above.
- Extensions to the time frame outlined above will be considered for extraordinary circumstances such as arithmetic, editing, or factual error.
- No changes will be permitted after a student’s degree is conferred except to correct a documented college error.
I hereby accept the recommendation of the College Senate and charge the provost with responsibility for overseeing the implementation of this policy change and for communicating the change to the campus community.