From the PresidentPosted: Thursday, October 22, 2020
Social Justice Space: Location Selection Process
As I mentioned Tuesday in my State of the College address, as a campus we will investigate and challenge our community to define how we can create a permanent representation of our commitment to social justice at Buffalo State College.
To that end, and in consultation with Chief Diversity Officer Crystal Rodriguez-Dabney and Provost Jim Mayrose, I have assembled a working group to lead us in the process of developing a permanent social justice outdoor space—a landmark dedicated to the idea of social justice and Buffalo State’s perpetual commitment to it.
In selecting the location for the social justice space, it is my desire to have the entire college community involved in the decision-making process. I have identified four potential locations on campus for this project. The working group has developed an informative survey that will walk you through each location. At the end, you may vote for your location of choice. Please cast your vote by Friday, November 20.
Once the project site is selected, details regarding future steps in the process will be shared with the campus community. Unveiling of the social justice space will take place Monday, September 13, 2021, as part of our 150th anniversary kickoff celebration.
Working group members:
- John Cabra, Professor, Creativity and Change Leadership
- Drew Kahn, SUNY Distinguished Service Professor, Theater; Director, Anne Frank Project
- Melissa Meehan, Web Administration Director, Marketing and Communications
- Lisa Morrison-Fronckowiak, Director, Student Accessibility Services; Co-chair, President's Council on Equity and Campus Diversity
- KeunYoung Oh, Chair and Associate Professor, Fashion and Textile Technology; Co-chair, President's Council on Equity and Campus Diversity
- Alice Pennisi, Associate Professor and Coordinator of Art Education Programs, Art and Design
- Sarah Reid, Campus Planner, Campus Planning