Today's MessagePosted: Wednesday, November 8, 2023
Student Organization Advisors Needed
Faculty and staff advisors play an integral role in the success of student organizations at Buffalo State. They offer guidance to student leaders through their experience and lend continuity to the organization. Each year Student Leadership and Engagement receives multiple requests from students to create new organizations on campus. At times these organizations are without a faculty or staff advisor and are unsure where to look in order to fill the role. In addition, returning student organizations may find themselves in a situation where the advisor position has become vacant and needs to be filled.
The following student organizations are without a faculty or staff advisor:
- Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority
- Sigma Delta Tau Sorority
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority
Roles and responsibilities of advisors include the following:
- Must be a full-time faculty or staff member. Graduate assistants or interns are not eligible to serve as student organization advisors.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of the student organization's mission, values, and history, lending continuity to the organization.
- Must be aware of and attend (when necessary) activities, meetings, and programs sponsored by the student organization.
- Must build trust with the student organization and establish guidelines for their role as advisor.
- Must encourage members to assume responsibility for their actions and effectiveness of their programs.
- Must guide, while at the same time allow freedom for members to plan and coordinate their own activities and programs.
- Must provide knowledge and information relevant to the needs of the organization through expertise and experience
If you are interested in serving as an advisor to one or more of these organizations, please contact Luke Haumesser, associate director of student leadership and engagement.
Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Monday, November 20, 2023